There’s a difference between “complaining” and a “complaint.” Address one and don’t indulge the other. Let’s talk about how.
What you’ll learn from this episode:
- A complaint is a legitimate issue that could be a breach of policy, procedure, or code of conduct. These should be addressed and there should be a process in place.
- If they’re complaining, that’s someone who’s just annoyed and whining. They aren’t really looking for a solution. As leaders, we should not indulge this. Ask them what they want to do about it, what solution they would like to put into place or how they would like to move forward.
Featured on the Show and Other Notes:
- A while back I did a podcast called Stop Helping Your Employees Punch Themselves in the Face. Today’s topic is an extension of that.
- I’m currently registering for The Manager Formula. This is my signature coaching program for managers. You will coach with me every week and meet managers from all over the world. You’ll get 12 modules of content that are about how to effectively drive performance on a team and hold employees accountable – every kind of employee. Updates are on the website about the next Q & A call. Come meet me live and I can answer your questions. We’re having open enrollment through March. Go to the website here for more info!
- Please send your feedback and questions to firstname.lastname@example.org