Very few of us are born knowing how to do this. But as managers, if you keep people who don’t work hard and don’t get the job done, you disengage the very people you want to keep. Here are some things to consider before deciding if it’s time to let go:
What you’ll learn from this episode:
- From the employee’s perspective, have they been trained?
- Have you provided very clear, very specific feedback and direction?
- If you’ve done all that and you’re still struggling with making the decision to let them go, the issue is likely you and your discomfort with holding people accountable.
- You’re not alone in your discomfort. Most of us are not born knowing how to do this. That’s why you need someone to show you how.
- Once you get better at holding people accountable, you will find that people who don’t perform will not stay long, and the people who do perform will be so much more engaged.
Featured on the Show and Other Notes:
- In the Manager Formula program, we teach the Coaching Algebra Tool. That is how we determine if someone has a skill set issue or a mindset issue and if they are trainable and willing to learn.
- Be sure to join my Facebook group for managers called How to Lead.
- Please send your feedback and questions to email@example.com