In honor of my new book, The Difficult Employee Remedy Handbook, here are 5 steps to dealing with a difficult employee:
What you’ll learn from this episode:
- Set up expectations with everyone. There are 2 previous podcasts that revolve around setting expectations – Setting Expectations for Managers and Managers and High Expectations.
- Make sure everyone has clear performance measures, and have performance based in evidence. Previous related podcasts are Managers and Coaching Algebra, Performance is Not an Opinion and Why Managers Must Establish KPI for Every Role on Their Team.
- Set up consistent one-on-ones. Always have an agenda. I offer this in the handbook, so I recommend you download the book so you can get that one-on-one agenda.
- Separate behavior from your opinion about it.
- Address people’s behavior. The Manager Pep Talk podcast really goes into this. Make sure there’s follow through and follow up.
Featured on the Show and Other Notes:
- Get my new book, The Difficult Employee Remedy Handbook, which you can find here. It’s FREE right now so be sure to go pick up a copy.
- Enrollment for The Core will be opening again in the fall. More info here.
- I started a Facebook page for difficult employees. You can find that here. If you find you like the page, let me know. I love hearing from you guys.
- If you have feedback, questions, or ideas for future podcasts, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org