There are so many skills that we want our new managers to have immediately, but here’s what I suggest you focus on in the first 90 days.
What you’ll learn from this episode:
- First you have to set your new managers up to be successful with the team.
- Talk to them about what you expect of them as new managers – your leadership expectations. Make sure they have clear, measurable 90-day goals.
- Spend time with them. Have consistent check-ins with them in those first 90 days about how they’re doing. A small training plan would be great. I suggest you put them in my Manager Formula program.
- Set them up with a mentor coach support person who isn’t you.
- Help them realize that their job is not to continue to be really good at the job they had before. Their job now is to develop their successor. They must have a very specific plan for how they’re going to replicate the success they had on the team with someone else.
Featured on the Show and Other Notes:
- My other podcast on How to Excel as a New Manager
- The next things they need to learn after the 90 day window is how to have difficult conversations, how to manage performance, how to hold people accountable and how to deal with the overwhelm. I teach all those skills in my Manager Formula Program.
- My Facebook group for managers is called How to Lead.
- Please send your feedback and questions to email@example.com