As leaders, one of the trappings in dealing with difficult people is trying to create scripting to help our employees through the process. Here are a few suggestions to avoid that disingenuous and unauthentic practice.
What you’ll learn from this episode:
- Set and clarify expectations
- Model your expectations. Treat employees the way you want them to treat customers.
- We can’t expect people to know how to deal with difficult people. Train your employees. Do role playing.
- Teach people what difficult means. An upset customer is not something for an employee to take personally.
- Teach your employees that tone matters and don’t assume they know how to show empathy.
Featured On The Show:
- Target, Safeway, Trader Joe’s and Southwest Airlines as examples.
- The Art of People: 11 Simple People Skills That Will Get You Everything You Want by Dave Kerpen
- If you want to learn more about empathy, Brene Brown is really good at it.
- I’d love to hear your ideas for future podcasts, so please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subscribe here so you don’t miss an episode!
- Are you dealing with a difficult person at work? Right now?? I made a special ‘triage’ video for you that includes some key tips to deal with those difficult folks tomorrow! Go to this link and follow the prompts to get the video in your inbox! There is relief available … Go get it!